Sunshine and Vitamin D
By Dr. Dylan Alderman, Chiropractor
As the long winter months come to an end, Minnesotan’s will be back outside and enjoying the summer months. With longer and warmer days ahead, we get the added benefit of getting more sunlight. Along with that added sun exposure is an increase in health benefits. An estimated 40% of American adults are deficient in vitamin D, in part due to long periods of time of inadequate sunlight exposure. When your skin is exposed to sunlight, it makes vitamin D from cholesterol. Here are a few examples of how sunlight and vitamin D help to improve and maintain good health.
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: adequate vitamin D levels have been linked to a lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Improved mood: sunlight has been shown to improve your mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression by increasing the hormone serotonin. The sun also helps to regulate your circadian rhythm, cueing your body to increase and decrease melatonin levels. By having exposure to daylight, your body will be more equipped to produce melatonin levels when it’s time for you to get restful sleep.
- Strong bones: vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium, which is the mineral responsible for building and maintaining your bone health.
- Boosted immune system: vitamin D helps to support the immune system, aiding in fighting infections and disease.
- Reduced inflammation: vitamin D has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation throughout the body.
It is important to note that excessive exposure to sunlight can also increase the risk of skin cancer, so it is important to balance the benefits of sunlight with proper sun protection measures such as wearing protective clothing and a zinc-based sunscreen.
As we prepare for another awesome Minnesota summer, get outside and enjoy the sunshine and all of the health benefits that accompany it!
The Chiropractic Care and Sunshine Connection
Sunshine and vitamin D are vital components of a complete plan for overall health. Along with chiropractic care, adequate exposure to sunlight can help promote strong bones, boost the immune system, and improve mood. Vitamin D, which is produced in the body through exposure to sunlight, is necessary for calcium absorption, essential for maintaining bone health. Chiropractic care can help promote optimal spinal health, which can improve nerve function, boost the immune system, and reduce inflammation. Combined with adequate sun exposure and vitamin D intake, chiropractic care can further enhance these benefits, resulting in improved overall health and well-being. So, whether you’re receiving regular chiropractic adjustments or simply looking to improve your overall health, don’t forget to get outside and enjoy some sunshine for a natural boost of vitamin D. Find a top Edina chiropractor near you today!