Science has clearly demonstrated some astounding facts regarding your gut ecology:
- About 80% of your immune system lives in your gut. This is because your gut is one of the main avenues by which foreign agents enter your body.
- 500 different species of bacteria live inside of you.
- About 100 trillion organisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites and other critters live in your gut, a number which far exceeds the total number of cells that make up your body.
- The weight of these bacteria is about two to three pounds.
- Some of these bacteria are referred to as “good”, but others do not provide any benefit. The ideal balance between them is 85% good and 15% other.
These gut “flora” continually and dynamically affect your immune system. The helpful organisms prevent the growth of the less desirable ones by competing for both nutrition and attachment sites in the tissues of the colon. These organisms also aid digestion and nutrient absorption.
The modern lifestyle has significantly compromised this delicate balance and our guts are now filled with the wrong ratio of good to bad bacteria. This has had a tremendous impact on human health. We recommend that everyone take a probiotic supplement to help maintain the normal balance of bacteria. The one that we recommend is called Theralac or another called Probioplex Intensive Care. These are broad-spectrum probiotics of the highest quality. Please let me know if you have questions or comments on this subject.