The Importance of Eating Organic
It is a commonly known fact that fresh food is best—fruits and vegetables are full of essential vitamins and minerals to grow healthy bodies. But, not all produce is created equal. There are many factors that can impact the quality of the produce you find in your grocery store and put in your body. Choosing the organic option is better than conventionally grown produce and here is why:
- Organic food is not sprayed with conventional toxic pesticides. Some organic farmers do use pesticides but they are derived from natural substances and are strictly monitored.
- Eating organic is the best way to avoid GMOs, or genetically modified organisms.
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives are allowed in organic food.
- Organic farming creates healthy soil, which in turn, grows healthy crops.
- Organic food contains more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and micronutrients than conventionally raised food.
- Organic food is never subjected to radiation exposure.
Because organic food requires extra care with production, it also tends to be more expensive than the non-organic option. For those that are looking for a more budget friendly way to eat healthy, there are certain foods, called the Dirty Dozen, that contain the highest levels of pesticides. In comparison, the Clean 15 are foods with the least pesticides. Foods that fall under the Dirty Dozen category are the most important to buy organic because they are foods that absorb chemicals through their skin. Clean 15 foods usually have skins that can be removed or can be washed more easily.
- Dirty Dozen: grapes, nectarines, strawberries, celery, potatoes, bell peppers, apples, hot peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, leafy greens (kale, collard greens, and spinach)
- Clean 15: cabbage, avocado, grapefruit, mushrooms, cantaloupe, eggplant, frozen peas, kiwi, mango, sweet potato, sweet corn, onion, pineapple, asparagus, papaya
These lists are fantastic to take with you on your shopping trips to know when to buy organic and when it’s ok to buy conventional.
Eating proper is a key component in maintaining your health in a holistic way. Combine that with chiropractic care for aches and pains and food sensitivity testing to maintain optimal health and vitality. See how our chiropractors can help you today!