Cold and Flu Season
by Dr. Kailey Fargo
The Fifth Season
Here in the Midwest, we have 5 seasons per year—Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter and Cold/Flu. The bitter cold weather forces us inside, breathing dry and reused air, and moving our bodies less than in the warm summer months. Due to these factors and many others, we tend to see an uptick in colds and the flu. Although these aren’t fully avoidable, there are some simple things that you can do to help boost your immune system and kick them quickly and naturally if you do find yourself down for the count.
- GET ADJUSTED—adjustments to the spine directly impact and improve function of the nervous system, which is the control center for the body. When your nervous system is functioning properly, your immune system is more able to successfully fight off pathogens that cause colds and the flu. This is a simple and proactive measure to take.
- HYDRATION—water, clear both and warm lemon water with honey can help to loosen congestion and prevent dehydration. Avoid alcohol, coffee and caffeinated beverages as these tend to cause dehydration.
- SLEEP—our bodies are able to recharge during sleep so allow yourself 6-8 hours per night. If you do come down with illness, listen to your body and rest as much as possible.
- SUPPLEMENTS—vitamin C, echinacea and zinc are all proven to shorten the duration of colds and can also minimize the severity of symptoms. Proactively taking these in small doses can also help the body fight off infections in the first place.
- HUMIDITY—a cool mist vaporizer or humidifier can add moisture to the home, which might help loosen congestion and avoid dryness in the throat. Also, taking a steamy shower can help moisturize nasal passages.
- GARGLE—this can moisten a sore throat and bring some temporary relief.
- LET THE SUN IN—individuals with higher levels of vitamin D have a better immune response and are less susceptible to illness. Do your best to get outside in the sunshine even when it’s chilly. Supplementing with vitamin D can also help too!
With these simple tricks, we hope that you stay well into the rest of the year!
Optimizing the body’s performance can position it to fight off illnesses like the cold and flu more effectively. Come to Chiropractic Health & Wellness for a free consultation. We treat neck pain, back pain, and headaches just to list a few.